Wednesday 29 June 2011

The Story Behind the Title

A quite well known novelist who is no longer with us, once phoned me and said "I've a really good title for you - see what you can do with it" The title was From Bow to Bond Street and immediately started up an idea. A girl from Bow situated in the East End of London ends up as an owner of a high class fashion boutique in the fashionable Bond Street. So I had the title, I began to get the idea, I drummed up the characters. The story started the novel, the characters worked on it and, hey presto! it was they who wrote the book for me. It happens. Characters can do this.
Make your characters work for you - they will surprise you.

2 comments:

Paula RC said...

What an amazing story, Elizabeth! Do you have any other tales about your other books?

Did you ever have to change any of your titles from what you wanted to call your books?

Teresa Ashby said...

What a great story!